Although not a statutory requirement, many contractors and construction clients insist that people regularly working on their sites, particularly if not escorted, hold the appropriate CSCS card for the work they undertake. CSCS cards provide proof that individuals working on construction sites have the required training to enable safe and appropriate site behaviour.
There is a range of CSCS cards to reflect the varied occupations in construction. For landscape professionals the BALI/LISS scheme is the best place now to go to obtain these, although CMLI & FLI can still apply directly to CSCS if they prefer. Please note that these schemes are nothing to do with the Landscape Institute and queries need to be directed to CSCS or BALI.
If your landscape qualification is not listed in the BALI/LISS scheme then you can contact BALI to check if it should be; BALI has delegated authority from CSCS to determine course suitability. Licentiates and Graduate members of the LI are likely to want to apply for a White AQP card.
If you find you need a new card, bear in mind you will need to:
- be able to demonstrate your level of academic or professional achievement
- book and have passed the CITB Managers and Professionals Health & Safety Environment Test
- provide current or previous employer contact details
- submit a signed application form
- pay fees for the test and the card.