a. Candidate eligibility
- You must be an Associate member of the LI to be eligible to join the Pathway to Chartership.
- You must maintain your Associate membership for the duration of your time on the Pathway.
- If you are struck off for non-payment of fees, or for any other reason, you will also be suspended from the Pathway.
b. Mentor Eligibility
- A mentor on the Pathway to Chartership must have held Chartered status of the LI (CMLI) for a minimum of 18 months and should not have more than three active candidates at any one time.
c. Candidates based overseas
- Regardless of location, if you are an Associate member of the LI you are eligible to join the Pathway to Chartership.
- As with UK based candidates, you will need a mentor who is a CMLI.
- If it is not possible to find a mentor who is CMLI, you may nominate a professional member of an equivalent body in the country you are based in, providing that body is recognised by the International Federation of Landscape Architects (IFLA). Your mentor is expected to have gained at least two years’ experience after qualifying for professional status. All such nominations will be subject to approval by the LI.
If you are working overseas, please be aware that the emphasis of the Pathway to Chartership is on assessing your ability to practise effectively as a Chartered landscape professional in the UK.
d. EU Nationals
Under EU legislation, if you:
• hold fully-qualified status as a Landscape Architect in another EU member state
• can demonstrate that you are eligible to hold that status
• hold EU nationality
• are moving to the UK to accompany a spouse who holds EU nationality and who is exercising their right to mobility
you may apply to the LI to be considered for direct admission to Chartered status.
If you believe that you have rights under EU legislation please contact the LI’s membership team on firstname.lastname@example.org.