The Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) and BIg Lottery Fund (BIG) are to give £13 million to parks in England
The largest award, of £2.5 million, goes to Markeaton Park in Derby, for improvements to the historic gardens, the 18th Century orangery and the craft village, lakes and ponds.
A very different project, Hednesford Park in Cannock, Staffordshire, is to receive £2.2 million. On the edge of Hednesford Town, Hednesford Park was opened in 1931 and developed thanks to money raised through a coal levy – with one penny per ton produced by local mines ensuring that £15,000 was raised. This restoration project will enable the park’s layout to be greatly improved with new fencing around the exterior as well as the First World War memorial located there plus an improved play area and new green gym. The pavilion will be refurbished and will provide a range of community and education facilities as well as a café. Two roles – a community and education officer and a community gardener – are being created to encourage greater involvement with the daily workings of the park.
The other parks to benefit are:
- Walker Park, Newcastle upon Tyne (£1.8m), opened in 1891 with the aim of catering for a large and growing industrial population
- Eureka Park, Swadlincote, Derbyshire (£547,300) a park in rural South Derbyshire that will undergo a five-year restoration project which will emphasise the park’s social history due to its strong links to both industrialisation and as a memorial to the two World Wars
- Plashet Park, Newham, London (£1.3m), a popular example of 19th-century municipal park design
- Drake’s Place Gardens and Reservoir, Plymouth (£601,600)
- Harlow Town Park, Essex (£1.8m)
- Castle Vale Park and Coronation Park, Berwick upon Tweed (£890,700)
- Runcorn Hill and Heath Park, Halton, Cheshire (£1.3m).
In Scotland, Wilton Park, Hawick is to receive £2.6 million. In Wales, £1.6 million will go to Margram County Park in Port Talbot, and £583,400 to Wepre Park in Connah’s Quay, Deeside.
A number of other projects have received development funding, allowing them to take forward proposals for full funding.