New organisation is called The Gardens Trust
The Garden History Society (GHS) and the Association of Garden Trusts (AGT) have voted to merge to become The Gardens Trust, a new body created to harness the strengths of the two existing organisations.
The main aims of the merger are, the new organisation says:
• To speak with a more powerful voice for the protection of parks, gardens and designed landscape;
• To play a key garden conservation role in the planning system as a statutory consultee;
• To provide support to strengthen the local activity of the County and Country Gardens Trusts;
• To be an internationally regarded centre of excellence in the study of garden history;
• To live within the means of the merged organisation and be financially sustainable over the long term.
Dominic Cole, formerly chairman of the Garden History Society, and recenlty made an OBE, has been elected as president of The Gardens Trust.