Being a Associate member enables you to join the Pathway to Chartership, the route to achieving full Chartered (CMLI) status.
Associate membership is open to those who have completed their initial professional education.
To be eligible for Associate membership applicants are required to hold an LI-accredited qualification. This means a masters qualification – either an MA or a postgraduate diploma, depending on the university. (Find out more about courses at chooselandscape.org.)
In partnership with the International Association of Landscape Architects (IFLA), the LI recognises a number of international universities and courses. Check the IFLA website to see if your course and university are listed.
If your qualifications are not accredited by the LI or IFLA, it is still possible to apply for membership.
Your application will be assessed by our Member Panel, who will judge the strength of your application based on both your work and academic experience, and decide whether you meet the required standard.
Assessment is a robust process that upholds of the standards set by our accredited course providers and expected of all Associate members.
If the Member Panel approves your application, you will be offered Associate membership of the LI – and will be able to start your journey on the Pathway to Chartership.
Please note: the LI always recommend the completion of an LI accredited qualification. This ensures that the graduate has received the very best in landscape education. This is the only guarantee of eligibility for Associate membership. There is no guarantee of eligibility, but the Member Panel will offer feedback to any unsuccessful applicant on what is needed to submit a successful application. The Member Panel consists of two Fellows and one Chartered Member of the LI.
Email your application to membership: email@example.com
The Member year runs from 1st June to 31st May
|Pathway to Chartership registration||£211.00|
|Pathway to Chartership annual retention||£98.00|
Benefits of Associate Membership
Join the Conversation
- We regularly tweet news, events, and updates through @TalkLandscape
- On Talking Landscape, an online network for Landscape Institute members there are forums on technical issues, landscape architecture ideas, and Institute activities.
- You can subscribe to member-only email updates about events, industry news and LI policy, technical news and member initiatives.
- Landscape Journal is sent to members every quarter – you will automatically receive this as part of your membership.
- The LI publishes resources for landscape practitioners, clients, decision-makers, and professionals in the built and natural environment.
Enhance your learning – with 25% off access to LI Campus, member discounts on LI events, and exclusive business skills courses from Firestarter
- LI Campus is our video platform, with a large library of educational content for landscape professionals. Catch up on CPD days, webinars and other events, from the convenience of your pc or tablet. All Associate members get a 25% discount on purchases made on LI Campus during their membership
- All LI members get member-only pricing on LI events, including CPD and other training
- All LI members get exclusive access to bespoke Firestarter courses on ‘Better Business Development’, ‘Practical Business Planning’ and ‘Building a Winning Team’
Use our Resources
- The Landscape Institute has documents on Green Infrastructure, Water, Housing, Public Health, and Liveability on the Policy pages.
- In the Technical pages, technical guidance is available on BIM, GLVIA, Plant Health, and Visualisation.
- In the Member’s only area are LI reports such as the annual Communications Survey, the Employment and Salary Survey, and governance papers.
- The Landscape Institute has many different roles that suit all levels of experience and availability. Find out how to get involved, and what type of role will suit you in Get Involved.
- The LI Ambassador for Landscape scheme is an exciting opportunity for you to inspire the next generation of landscape architects, and to demonstrate the creative and rewarding career options open to them. We are looking to all LI members to champion the profession and help enthuse the next generation of landscape professionals.
- There are 12 regional branches of the LI across the UK, plus one for International members. You can join your local branch, as well as get updates on activities in other branches. Find out what’s going on in your area through the branches page.
Connect with the Industry
- Help encourage the next generation of landscape architects through the LI’s careers website, Choose Landscape. There’s information on courses, funding, projects, job types and more.
- You can sign up for email alerts about new jobs as soon as they are advertised on our Jobs webpage. Or place an advert for recruitment.
Pathway to Chartership
- You can begin your Pathway to Chartership once you’re a Associate member