The LI works with universities to maintain the highest standards in landscape education by accrediting a range of undergraduate and post graduate courses. These courses provide graduates with the knowledge and skills required to develop a rewarding career in landscape practice.
Our Elements and Areas of Practice Education Framework (PDF, 1MB) provides a reference point for education in the profession. It describes five areas of landscape practice: landscape design, planning, management, science and urban design. It also describes the elements of practice: the knowledge and understanding that a professional must demonstrate in order to gain chartered status.
The LI also promotes continuing professional development to ensure that LI members maintain the highest professional standards of knowledge and practice.
Key responsibilities of the LI’s Education and Membership Committee
The Education and Membership Committee, one of the LI’s three standing committees, considers:
- undergraduate and post graduate education
- the continuing professional development of landscape professionals
- standards of entry for the LI’s membership grades
The committee is supported by three subcommittees:
- Accreditation Subcommittee, which is responsible for leading on the strategy for the accreditation of higher education courses and monitoring the annual reaccreditation monitoring process.
- Continuing professional development committee, which is responsible for the annual CPD monitoring process and ensuring training standards are maintained.
- Member Panel, which oversees applications for LI membership from EU nationals and those who do not hold an accredited qualification.
The LI also maintains relationships with key stakeholders including the International Federation of Landscape Architecture and leaders of LI-accredited courses.
LI members who want to contribute to landscape education
We want to hear from members looking to contribute to our education work. If you want to get involved, please email Poppy Smith, Future Talent Manager at email@example.com.