Do you visit construction sites?

    Although not a statutory requirement, many contractors and construction clients insist that people regularly working on their sites, particularly if not escorted, hold the appropriate CSCS card for the work they undertake.  CSCS cards provide proof that individuals working on construction sites have the required training to enable safe and appropriate site behaviour.  

    There is a range of CSCS cards to reflect the varied occupations in construction. To check which card is the right one there is an online cardfinder.  CMLI & FLI Members should probably be applying for a White Professionally Qualified Person card.  
    Associates, with a construction related degree (as defined by CSCS) should apply for a White Academically Qualified Person card.  Note that the list of construction-related degrees in this case does not include landscape design.
    White cards last five years and are renewable. 
    Associates who are current registered with a further/higher education college or university for a “nationally recognised construction related qualification” can apply for a red card for Trainees (Technical, Supervisory & Management). These last three years and can only be renewed once so this is where problems may arise if thay haven’t qualified by the time the card runs out. 
    If you are a landscape professional and meet none of the above criteria then it is likely you may need to apply for a Visitors Card.  
    If you find you need a new card, bear in mind you will need to:
    be able to demonstrate your level of academic or professional achievement
    book and have passed the CITB Managers and Professionals Health & Safety Environment Test 
    provide current or previous employer contact details
    submit a signed application form
    pay fees for the test and
    for the card.

    Simon Odell CMLI



    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here