The LI is run by a dedicated team of staff and governed by a Board of Trustees, Advisory Council and several committees.
About the LI Board of Trustees
The Board has legal responsibility for the LI, meets 5 times a year and has up to 13 members made up of:
- 5 Honorary Officers (elected by LI members) including: President, Vice-President, Honorary Treasurer, Honorary Secretary and either the President Elect or Immediate Past President (in alternate years)
- 1 Non-Chartered (elected by the membership)
- Chair of each of the 3 Standing Committees (Education &Membership, Policy & Communications, and Technical)
- 4 Independent Trustees who are selected according to the skills needed
About the LI Advisory Council
The Council’s role is to represent members and to help set the LI’s strategic objectives. Council meets 3 times a year, and has up to 30 council members made up of:
- 5 Honorary Officers
- 3 Standing Committee Representatives (Education & Membership, Policy & Communications, Technical)
- 7 directly elected corporate members
- 2 directly elected Associate Representatives
- 1 directly elected Student Representative
- 12 Branch Representatives
About the LI Standing Committees
The 3 Standing Committees (Education & Membership, Policy & Communications, and Technical) advise on and help implement the main areas of the LI’s activity.
Each committee chair sits on the LI’s Board of Trustees, and each committee also has a representative on Advisory Council. Various subcommittees and working groups lead on specialist areas of work.
Access to LI Governance Documents
Members can access a range of governance documents, reports and other relevant papers in the members’ website.