Landscape Institute Yorkshire and Humber Branch

Shibden Park

Shibden Park

Opened as a public park in 1926 by the Prince of Wales, Shibden Park is one of the most important public parks in Yorkshire. Its dramatic setting incorporates a wide variety of important historical features and, with the completion of the project, now has a worthy new chapter in the its story. The project has rediscovered the old, incorporated the new and brought the people flooding back to this largely forgotten corner of east Halifax.

The project is considered to be a true collaboration of landscape architecture and architecture, also incorporating a wide range of other design and technical disciplines on a range of new build elements and restoration proposals, all within a heritage context. Context and the vernacular of materials and craftsmanship was an over-riding concern. Traditional local building materials used for restoration were also used in a contemporary way to ensure the character of the park remained clearly defined.

Location

Near Halifax, West Yorkshire

Type of scheme

Park restoration

Lead landscape architect

Golder Associates (UK) Ltd

Outline brief

Restoration and enhancement of a historic public park

Client

Calderdale Metropolitan Borough Council

Contract value

£5.6M

Project team

Golder Associates (Landscape Architects, Ecologists, Archaeologists, Contract Administrators) (Lead Consultant), Tadcaster

Rance Booth & Smith (Architects), Saltaire

DKP Consulting (Cost Consultants), Harrogate

Halcrow Yolles (Engineers), Leeds

Hickton Consultants (CDM Co-ordinators), Barnsley

Funding

Heritage Lottery Fund and CMBC

Funding (ongoing)

Heritage Lottery Fund and CMBC

Awards

White Rose Landscape Architecture Award 2009

   

Technical summary

Other technical details

Other stakeholders:

English Heritage, Friends of Shibden Park, Naturefriends, Dry Stone Walling Association, Northern Fruit Group

Contractors

William Birch & Sons, York

 

 

Category

Parks and gardens

Go back to the previous page

Registered as a Charity in England and Wales, No 1073396